Are you tired of choosing an operating system each time you start your PC? You may wonder why is that happening to you and how to get rid of this issue.
Well, it happens when multiple windows are installed on your system. However, many users have reported the same issue after the Windows Update. If you are exhausted from selecting an OS every time you turn on your computer, then this article is just for you.
You can easily solve this problem by following some simple steps which are provided in this article. So, apply the fixes from this guide without wasting your precious time searching here and there for solutions to this problem.
How to Disable the Windows 10 Choose an Operating System Screen?
While installing new Windows, it is recommended to format the primary hard drive because the previously installed windows files contain there.
If you have installed two different Operating Systems on your computer, then it will ask you to select your preferred one.
Again, if you install Windows 10 without formatting that hard drive, then the system will detect two operating systems and will take you to the dual boot screen where you will be asked to choose an operating system where you want to enter.
The only way to solve this problem is to set the default operating system on your computer.
How to Set Default Operating System on Windows 10?
You can easily disable the dual boot screen by selecting the default operating system on your computer. There are several ways to set the default OS on Windows 10. The two easiest methods are given below and you are suggested to choose any one method between them.
Method 1: Using System Properties
- Press the Win + R key to open the Run Command box.
- Then, type SystemPropertiesAdvanced on the box and hit Enter.
- Now, click on the Settings button under the “Startup and Recovery” section.
- After that, click the Drop-down list under “Default operating system” in the Startup and Recovery window.
- Now, choose your desired operating system from the list and uncheck the checkbox named “Times to display a list of operating systems”.
- Finally, click OK to save the changes and reboot your computer. You will not see any screen for choosing an operating system anymore.
Method 2: Using System Configuration
- Press the Windows button and search for “System Configuration”.
- Then, click on the System Configuration tool in the search results.
- Now, go to the “Boot” tab on the “System Configuration” window.
- In the “Boot” tab, select the OS that you want to make the default and click the “Set as Default” button.
- To save your settings, click “Apply” and “OK” at the bottom of the window.
- Finally, a window will appear that asks for a restart. If you are ready to restart your computer then click the “Restart” button and if you are not prepared right now, then click the “Exit without restart” button.
- After closing all tabs and programs, restart your computer and the OS choosing issue will be resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is Windows Asking Me to Choose an Operating System?
Your Windows is asking you to choose an operating system because you have installed multiple operating systems on your computer.
It happens when someone installs Windows without formatting the primary hard drive. The conflict between the remaining old Windows files and the newly installed operating system takes you to the dual boot screen where you are asked to select your preferred one.
How Do I Select an Operating System Permanently?
If you have multiple operating systems installed on your computer and you are annoyed selecting your preferred OS every time, then you can set it as the default OS from the system properties settings and it won’t ask you to choose any other operating system again.
Don’t forget to uncheck the “Times to display a list of operating systems” checkbox after selecting the default OS on the System Properties window.
How Do I Switch Between Operating Systems in Windows 10?
If you have multiple operating systems installed on your computer and you already have set one of them as default, then it may not ask you to choose one operating system or let you switch between operating systems.
If you want the options for choosing operating systems, then you need to go to the “Advanced” tab of the “System Properties” and click the “Settings” button. Then enable the “Times to display a list of operating systems” option by checking the checkbox.
How Do I Fix Choose an Operating System Option in Windows 10?
You need to set any of the operating systems as default to stop taking you to the dual boot menu where you will be asked to select your preferred OS each time you reboot your PC. There are several ways to set the default operating system on Windows 10 and the two simplest methods among them are given above in this article. You can apply any of them to fix the problem.
Can I Have Two Operating Systems on My Computer?
Yes, you can have two operating systems installed on your computer. However, most PCs have a built-in single OS by default. But you can install more operating systems at the same time. If two OS are installed on your computer, then you will be asked to choose any of them while starting your computer.
Stuck in the loop of choosing an operating system while starting Windows is a common issue for many Windows 10 users and the solution to this problem is too simple. The two best methods to fix the issue are shown in this article with adequate screenshots for you. We hope that this guide has proved helpful to you in fixing the above-mentioned issue with your computer. If you have any confusion or personal opinion, then feel free to tell us in the comment section below.